Thursday, July 07, 2005

On Bombs and Drifting Sail Boats

My mother, has that special over drive mother instinct.

If a bomb goes off near where I am, she gets worried. I was in Israel once, and a bomb went off killing three. I was fifty miles away. She cried with relief when we finally touched base.

So now, I am somewhere. It is hard to say where.

My mother saw the explosions in London on TV.

I could have been in London.

I could have been at sea.

I could have been in Europe.

But I was likely in London, on a train that blew up, at least in my mother’s logic.

Knowing my mother as I do, I called her as soon as I saw the news to assuage her fears. My voicemail said, "Hi mom. I am not in London. I am no where near London. I will not be in London any time soon, and I think I am in Norway."

My mother was glad to hear from me, even though she says she "decided" not to worry, which is different from not worrying.

Anyway… I have been at work since 5 am and it is 9 pm. At work is a funny thought… work was in Stravanger Norway for most of the day.

I was on the bridge this morning at about 5:30 am, as we headed into Stravanger, we were headed to run over a sail boat. That was cool. What does a 50,000 vessel do when an itty bitty sail boat drifts into its course?

Honk its horn.

It was very unsophisticated.

The whole scene was a bit boring. It was just me and the first officer on the bridge. No chaos. I looked out and said, "Hey Morton, we seem to be getting close to that buoy."

He looked at me like I had two heads. "You mean the sail boat?"

I am glad he was paying attention. (I am not blind… he had the binoculars, which only seems appropriate.)

I love Norway… just FYI, especially now that we are in southern Norway where the sun actually sets this time of year. It is so much easier to go to sleep when it is dark out.

So I think I will do that…

No comments: