Thursday, October 13, 2005

Next Time with Deeper Pockets

As I was walking by Nadja's office today, I noticed she had some cash on the desk. Kidding, I said, "I’ll take some of that."

She shrugged, "That’s ok. I have 400,000 under my desk?"

"What?"

She casually grabbed an ordinary gray plastic bag from under her desk. She set it on her lap and pulled out a brick of plastic-wrapped hundred dollar bills. She put it on her desk, along with another, and another and another.

She was serious. She had $400,000 under her desk.

$400,000 in hundreds is not that big. I can easily hold it, though it didn't fit into my pockets (not that I checked…).

I love my job. It has given me many interesting experiences.

Holding $400,000 is one of them.

She had over a hundred thousand more on the other side of the room.

A cruise ship chooses a currency to pay wages in. Then, since the cruise ship is the bank on board, there must be enough currency available for the crew to hit the "atm" (her name is Hilde) before a day of shopping in port.

Four hundred grand seemed to cover it.

No comments: