Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Amazon Chachkas

I am exhausted, so this is going to be a visual entry of the things I bought and didn’t in the Amazon. (The actual Amazon, not Amazon.com.)

All these items are entirely made of natural components from the Rain Forest and the Amazon River, with the exception of the steel of the knife.

This is a dart gun/horn/noise maker. It is about two and a half feet long. The darts are the cotton tipped things at the bottom. To shoot a dart, you place it in the tub of the gun and blow hard at the other end.



This is a wall ordainment. It is made with fish bones, tree resin and the eyes are tree nuts.



This is a gift for my sister and her fiancée. I know my sister will appreciate the craft of the ordainment and he the fact it is a knife. (He is not nearly as crazy as that sentence makes him sound.) These are two different views of the knife and sheath.





And lastly, the piranhas. Everywhere tourists were, were lines of stuffed piranhas for sale. I didn’t buy the stuffed fish, but I got this shot so you could get the experience. These are just a few. You have to image hundreds of them every place you went. It is just weird.



Bed time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meeks this is SO cool! I am so jealous!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with jackie

Irate cynic said...

Hi there

Im travelling to Rio Salvador and Manaus this summer. Can you recommend anything that HAS to be done and those that can definitely be missed.

Can your ecommend any tour operators for the Amazon? Are they worth it? we've been hearing mixed reviews.

Any info you can send my way would be really cool. You can post on Honest Abdul and His Musings at http://honest-abdul.blogspot.com/

Thanks
HA