Tuesday, July 25, 2006

It's Midnight in Helsinki

And it is still light out.

I would blog more often if I had high speed internet access. It is much easier. (The ship is connected by low speed satelitte.)

So I was in Vienna today talking on the phone to my father. He told me to have some coffee, as Vienna is well known for its coffee. I laughed. I was standing across from a Starbuck's. Somehow I don't think that is what he has in mind. I had dinner at the Starbuck's. (Starbuck's is conquering the world.)I am all for trying the local flavor, but there was no place else to eat at the airport. I had a "New York Style Bagel," a bagel, cream cheese and lox. It was 4.90 euros. The fact that I paid in euros being the only distinction from home.

I left my home ship today, to switch to a different ship. It is very odd to me, to fly from one time zone, +3 Mykonos Greece, back one to Vienna +2, and then to Helsinki, +3. I have never flown through a different time zone just to return to my orginal one.

Anyway. It is the middle of the night and I should sleep... even though it is light out.

Love from Hel
sinki.

PS:
American businesses are invading the world.

I forgot to mention that I am staying at a Holiday Inn and watching CNN. I can buy a Newsweek downstairs. Add that to Starbuck's, McDonald's and all the other American influences.

On the other hand, half the people with cell phones in the world, have a Finnish Nokia. The world is just merging to one culture. (And I appreciate the fact that that culture speaks English. I took a flight from Greece to Austria and Austria to Finland today and both flights had announcements in English. Every person I needed to interact with at all airports spoke English, including the girl at Starbuck's. I realize "New York Style Bagel" does not require much translation, nonetheless our friendly conversation was in English.)

I should sleep... despite the fact it is still dusk at, at 12:40am.

No comments: