Friday, November 10, 2006

Out The Window

My life is a strange one. I awoke the other day convinced I was in the Amazon (where I was in February) only to be surprised by the view out my window, which was of Sorrento Italy rather than Brazilian rain forest.

This morning dawn breaks over a large pond spotted by waking ducks and geese occasionally orating with an annoyed honk. It is a warm November morning, in North Carolina, over a glassy pond, lined with green grass, sprinkled with evergreen needles and small inconspicuous summer homes.

I have always had a weakness for the south, with its warm weather, warm light and year-round vegetation. The south has a charm I have always found appealing… but about 1 billion zillion inhabitants, of the small buzzing variety, that I don’t.

In America, we move. We move across town, across the state, across the country. Perhaps, unlike Europe, because it is so culturally similar, we find it easier to just pick up and go.

I remember when I was little my mom had friends all over the country, and that seemed very odd to me. How did all these people wind up all these places? And in my five year old mind, where friends were a dime a dozen, why bother keeping in touch with all these people so far away if long distance calls were soooooo expensive?

Between my sisters and I, just counting since we each turned eighteen, twelve years ago, we have lived in Santa Barbara, Philadelphia, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Miami, Hanover New Hampshire, New Bern North Carolina, London and Edinburgh Scotland.

In the past few days I have visited each my sisters, one in Hanover and now the other in North Carolina. I love them both incredibly. I see they are both lonely in the small towns they have been lured to.

I want one of those transporters from Star Trek where in a heart beat you can travel to the far regions of the world, Santa Barbara to Hanover, in a moment just for coffee.

I worry, and know, that my sisters and I are unlikely to live in the same state, time zone, or possibly even country ultimately.

I love to travel, but there is nothing like hanging out in front of the television with your sister.

So as I sit her enjoying dawn on the pond, cool are all the places I have been and stupid is being able to take my sisters with me.

Since I am on vacation, I plan on making up for lost entries. (The integral word in that sentence is 'plan'.)

No comments: