Monday, March 26, 2007

Cape Town Pictures

OK, I finally uploaded my Cape Town pictures. (It has only been a month.)

First, the pictures I failed to take. I really wish I took more/better pictures of the fences to illustrate what I meant in my last blog about vicious. Next time.

As if there will be a next time. Cape Town is an amazing place, but I would not go out of my way to get there. And lets be honest, every way to get there is out of the way.

Cape Town's amazing central feature, Table Mountain, with clouds spilling over the top, as seen from the Waterfront.



And the view from Table Mountain, complete with me, to prove I was there.



That, by the way, is what I look like after thirty hours on planes and in airports, at what is four am in my brain, when my hotel room is not ready.

Now some quirky pictures. In every port, there is a defining trinket being sold to tourists. For example, in the Amazon, stuff piranhas are sold, in Venice it's Carnival masks, in Dublin it is all things Guinness.

Well in Cape Town, there are lamps. Lamps, you ask? Yes, lamps. But of course as the representative trinket from Cape Town, there is something unique about these lamps. Decorated by engraving, they are actually ostrich eggs with a bulb inside. Here is a group of them.



And here is one close up so you can appreciate the engraving.



Now onto the strange. The woman who walked into the public bathroom as I was taking this picture surely thought I was crazy. (I mean wouldn't you be weary of someone taking pictures in a public bathroom?) But I had to take a picture of this "sink."

In the bathroom were multiple faucets over one single inclined slab of well polished marble. Water running from the facets ran down the incline to a barely noticeable gap between the splashboard and the slab, the drain. It was just an interesting concept for a sink.



And finally, the choice sign from Cape Town.



Apparently the parking requires commitment.

Coming soon... Dubai.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mika! That sink is AWESOME! Did it splash on you at all? I would assume no...

I want one! I want one! It looks so neat! And about the ostrich egss... Good Lord. I wonder how long its takes to make one of those things! Now don't ask me why I know this, but it takes one or two minutes to poke a hole in one of these bad boys. So at least we know they are sturdy! Granted we wear using a metal pin... so my experiment may be flawed. Plus, they cost $20 in sante ynez. How much to they cost in Cape town! haha =) Miss you! PS: I got your post card!!! You were in water that required no wet suit! I don't even know how to handle that peice of information. But the word "jealous" keep blinking in neon in mind...