Friday, March 05, 2010

Iran Tomorrow

I sit in my cabin, in rough seas, pondering tomorrow.

I will be in Bandar Abbas, Iran tomorrow. Talk about places I never thought I would ever see.

As an American, traveling with fifty to a hundred fifty other Americans, all wealthy, I can’t help but think that we are the perfect target.

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to the thrill and to see what feels like a forbidden land. (I have my headscarf all laid out for the morning.)

The ship has gone through some interesting preparations for tomorrow. We have to be a completely dry (alcohol-free) ship while in port and in Iranian waters. In case you have never been on a cruise, a dry cruise is practically a contradiction. It is quite an effort to collect every last ounce of alcohol on a cruise ship, from every crew cabin, every guest cabin, every mini-bar, every bar and every office (and there is a lot of alcohol in offices, my office had about 12 bottles).

Areas of the ship, such as our promenade deck, are being closed for our time in port. This is to adhere to local dressing customs. Rather than run the risk that women and men will not properly cover themselves while in areas of the ship readily visible to shore, the ship has decided to close those areas.

We are still somewhat curious as to how those officials who come onboard will react to the women onboard who will be dressed according to western standards. We are especially curious because our officers onboard in charge of immigration processing are women.

Anyway, the rough seas are getting to me. So I am going to sign off.

Stupid: Terrorism and fear (and rough seas)

Cool: Seeing forbidden land.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Has Crystal ever made a stop in Iran before? Sounds like a bit of an ordeal. Totally worth it, though (I hope) -- it's strange to think how few Americans will ever get to see Iran.