Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Cool: Flyg Ballong

Cool: Flyg Ballong

(Flying Balloon in Swedish)

Balloon pre-flight



More balloon pre-flight


Sky, balloon, ground, pretty self explanatory (which is why it has the longest explanation thus far)


Stockholm old medieval city. Stockholm is a city of lots of islands, and so many bridges. There are also lots of little ferries, used in the same way we might use a bus.



Picture of me, for my mom, to prove I am alive and sympathizing with my captors, due to Stockholm Syndrome.


This Stockholm neighborhood had a terrible outbreak of tramplines

"Are the trampolenes to provide a safe landing for the balloonists?" (From my Dad, kidding.)


A little outside Stockholm, like twenty minutes. (Cities are little in Europe.)



A reflection of the balloon in water, from the balloon


Random things I have learned:

Norwegian Grammatical Rule:
Why say in two syllables what could be said in eight.

Dates:
The Americans use MM/DD/YY
The Europeans use DD/MM/YY
The Mainframe uses YY/MM/DD
Payroll uses YY/DD/MM
And no matter what you enter first, it is wrong for the intended purpose.

Phonetic colloquialisms Can be Hysterical:
I got an email promising to get that information to me, "In a Yippy."

When you work to hard, the basic stuff trips you up:
My mother asked, "Where I you?" (The first question most people ask me.)
I replied sarcastically, "On the ship. Where do you think I am?"
She laughed. "Ok, Mika, and where is the ship."
I reply, "Um," not knowing I look out the window for a hint, and see a BIG sign that says, "Welcome to Copenhagen."

In my life, time is told in Cities:
Judith to me, "When was that? Was that the day before yesterday?" (Monday or Sunday)
Me, "No, I think it was Stockholm." (Saturday)
Judith, "That's right, cause it was the day Helsinki shipment." (Friday)

I need to reference the wall to find myself:
Friend, "Where are you?"
Me, in my office, "I don't know. What is the date?"
Friend, "August 17th."
I look at my calendar on the wall, find August 17, "St. Petersburg."

No comments: