Monday, August 29, 2005

Suddy Irony, My Monetary Closet

After my last entry, I went looking for lotion in Germany. I bought Mit Teebaumol, Duschol, fur sensible und trockene haut.

I took my shower with my Zel Przeciw Wagrom, Szampon and Pflegespulung. I toweled off. I poured my Mit Teebaubol into my hand and then rubbed it into my skin.

It sudded up.

Much to my surprise.

My lotion was body wash, or so I think.

My first extra-lingual shopping failure, and just following my post of successes. It seemed ironic.

And while I am discussing ironing, onto my closet…

(In other words, this is an abrupt non-sequitur into something regarding my closet.)

In my closet, I have many envelopes. These envelopes help me interact with the global marketplace. Most of the envelopes have a location and some also have a ratio.

The envelopes are:
Russia 1/30, in the envelope, 230 Rubles
Estonia 1/11, in the envelope, 52 Krooni
Norway 1/7, in the envelope lots of Krone coins
Stockholm no ratio, change
Copenhagen, no ratio, 5 Krone
No label, 56Euros
No label $100
No label 28 Pounds

My closet has a very sophisticated monetary system. Its clothing organization, on the other hand, leaves much to be desired. I am hoping the monetary organization over takes the clothing organization, which seems high hopes. At very least, it would be nice if the closet monetary sophistication migrated into the complete chaos of the currency in my jeans.

When is the last time you put on your jeans and found two hundred Ruble…
Five Krone
And a quarter?

Today, not knowing the currency of Belfast, I unloaded the random currencies from my jeans and left with both Euro and Pounds. Pounds in the left pocket, Euros in the right. I was prepared either way.

My first stop was Boots where the total was 7 pounds 90 p. I handed over a fifty. The woman gave me twenty something pounds in change.

I protested.

She said there was nothing she could do.

I tried to explain math to her, namely fifty minus eight does not equal twenty anything.

She explained exchange rate to me.

I looked at her… and then realized I had pulled fifty from my right pocket instead of my left.

I paid 7 pounds 90 pence with fifty Euros and got twenty odd pounds back.

Apparently Boots was prepared either way also.

In the end, truth be known, I don't pay much attention to the local currency.

I carry the universal currency…

Visa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mika, I think you're a brilliant writer! I love looking at your site.