Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Vacationing, At Home

Given that I work on a cruise ship, I spend eight months a year traveling. Nonetheless, when I chose to spend my vacation at home, my co-workers baulked. “Why aren’t you traveling?” they asked.

This seemed a ridiculous question to me. I travel most of the year. But the industry attracts people with something in common, the love to travel. Many of them don’t stop for vacation.

The consistently incredulous response to my vacation plans made me quite feel awkward and a bit embarrassed every time someone asked what I was doing on vacation.

Yesterday, November first, on vacation, I woke up, grabbed my Nano Ipod, a bottle of water and walked the three blocks from my house to the Coronado Butterfly Preserve, where the Mexican Monarchs winter. The butterflies, bright orange, and nearly the size of my hands (which are admittedly small), fluttered around like confetti in a breeze. Their wings are a brilliant contrast to the gray-green eucalyptus leaves.

From there I walked the short distance to the beach, where I walked on an entirely empty beach, my footprints the only human disturbance on the sandy canvass waterline. The sun was high and bright. The islands some thirty miles off the coast looked like a mirage.

In my several mile walk, I stop occasionally to admire the glass-flat Pacific. The 85 degree heat was offset by an ocean breeze cooling my skin and my water was satiating.

Toward the end of my walk, I stood at the top of the ocean cliffs and realized something my coworkers didn’t. I don’t need to travel on vacation. I live in one of the best travel destinations in the world. (Cool)

I could not imagine anything I would prefer to do on vacation than spend a hot day at a beautiful beach I had all to myself.

---

I have lots of left over pictures from my trip that I have not posted yet. So I decided I would try to post one with every post. This is me with a troll in Norway. There are lots of Viking trolls in Norway. I loved them, the ugly, full-sized child-like, figurines with viking hats and huge happy smiles.

No comments: