Sunday, February 26, 2006

A Day In The Life of Mika
February 26, 2006 to be specific

25 hours (I am a busy girl. I have to fit 25 hours in my day.):

00:00 Sitting with friends in the O Bar (Officer’s Bar)
01:00 Chatting with friends on Deck 6 Aft which is the outdoor patio for crew, as we cruise up the Amazon. Maria, Helena and I have a shopping date for Buenos Ares, in 16 days.
02:00 Dance to the blasting music with a hundred of my co-workers, despite being drenched from the 85 degree heat and amazing humidity. Our dance club has very clean bathrooms… unfortunately you have to walk all the way back to your own cabin to use them.
02:00 Déjà vu, not really. There was a time change, not that anything changed. I was still dancing the night away. (As a moving ship, we often cross time zones and change time.)
03:00 Tired of dancing, I go visit Edson, who is still on duty. Then wandering down the corridor toward my cabin (or Cabeanna as Maria calls it), I run into a Marcos and chat for a while.
04:00 Sleep!
05:00 Still sleeping.
06:00 Get up at some time. Check my emails, deal with a couple things.
07:00 Try to go back to sleep.
08:00 Breakfast with Lisa, Sallie and Lesley. Then off to work.
09:00 Work, Captain has an email problem
10:00 Work, Begin building a new 2003 server
11:00 Work, Due to listing, my new 2003 server falls hard… but it still seems to work.
12:00 Finish working, meet people for lunch, I can’t remember who.
13:00 Watch The OC in the O Bar. We have very little TV out here. An episode of The OC plays on repeat all day. The entire crew is hooked. (I am sure if we had anything else to watch we would be less interested in The OC.) This time I caught it from middle to end to beginning.
14:00 Nap!
15:00 Rise and shine, catch coffee with Jasminka, Sallie and Leslie in the Bistro. Then, we wandered out to Deck 6 Aft to look over the side at fifteen or so little wood boats laden with fresh produce to sell to the rich tourists.
16:00 Work, fix gangway system which went offline
17:00 Work, continue work on new server
18:00 Work, service ving machine
19:00 Dinner with Sasha, Dale, Paulina and another guy whose name I don’t know.
20:00 Work, Nadja’s two accounting reports don’t match. Work on it for a while before deciding I would rather work on it tomorrow.
21:00 Visit other offices and chat.
22:00 Help a friend with some computer work, and more chatting
23:00 Crew bar for a drink. Chat with Erika.
24:00 Dance class, a little Salsa and a little Meringue. This was a crew only class and we laughed up a storm. Taking dance classes when the ship is listing to and fro adds a fun dimension.

Rinse and Repeat…

(If this is coherent it is a miracle. I should really sleep more. But life onboard is so much fun.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you only got like 3 hours of sleep