Sunday, May 29, 2005

Cannes Can Shoe

I went shopping in Cannes yesterday.

Let me describe Cannes.

Shoe shop, shoe shop, lotion and potion shop, shoe shop, clothing shop, shoe shop, shoe shop, mobile phone shop, shoe shop.

I have never before in my life seen so many shoe stores.

So I went to Cannes and I went shopping. I did not see the sites. I did not see the Tibetan artifacts or the tower or any of the sites. I saw the shopping strip, the cafes and a kind of up scale flea market.

You have to understand, I live on a ship. If I need shoes, and I have three hours in Cannes…. I spend my time in Cannes shoe shopping, and picking up things that I hope are shampoo and not bleach.

Fortunately, I needed shoes… when I was in Cannes. I cannot imagine a better place to need shoes.

So Cannes is old French architecture on soft hills that lead to the Mediterranean. There is much emphasis on the out door café’s and promenades. There was a flea market/art walk on the central boulevard. All in all, it was a little more cramped than my home town of Santa Barbara with French Riviera architecture. It amazes me how much Santa Barbara is like many Mediterranean cities. It is not the rolling hills by the water and harbor, with quaint promenades, so much as the air of casual glow in the afternoon sun.






(Sorry, I did not get any really great pictures.)

Cannes is approved as a lovely place to spend a few afternoons window shopping (they siesta), working on your skin cancer or enjoying a local café.

Also available in Cannes was, by far my favorite, vending machines. I wonder if they have them in Amsterdam. On nearly every block in Cannes, was a condom vending machine. (I don’t believe they are having an unusual amount of sex. I think they’re just poor planners.) I never saw a soda vending machine, a cigarette vending machine, a candy vending machine. Just condoms… condoms, condoms.

Makes me think...

Maybe shoes are an aphrodisiac.




I am doing great.

Working hard.

Eating well.

Playing well with others.

Today was a day at sea, where I recouped from a late night.

Tomorrow is Gibraltar.

Oh, a weird thing worth mentioning… it is a very strange existence where you watch the sun rise through the only window in your room in the morning and set through that same window that evening.

No comments: