Sunday, October 03, 2004

Pleasures of an Apple Tree

This summer, my apple tree blessed me with beauty and plenty in hundreds of mild green apples and laden branches adorned by healthy, bright green leaves. The canopy, a palette of greens, was all the more lively against the earthy red brick patio beneath.

At night, the moonlight sneaking past my blinds, I lie in bed. In the warmth and safety of my bed, my consciousness fading, I hear the occasional hard, heavy apple bounce onto the red bricks below. A quiet midnight thump joining me with nature, where everything makes sense, everything in the world is true and good, and a moment of Zen experienced unsought.

The tree ready and giving, I choose my first mild green, slightly yellow, blushing red apple. I washed the hard apple beneath cold water and inspected the apple. I was not sure whether the apple was ripe. I steeled myself, prepared for a bitter mealy, terrible apple.

I crunched into my apple and naturally chewed. The apple bubbled over with sweet, delightful flavor. The apple was wonderful.

My apple tree is a beautiful canopy of green that makes home home, a lovely reminder in the middle of the night that the world is good and true, and offers me wonderful delicious gifts.

I love my apple tree.

Now once I get it to convert, it will be a match made in heaven.

;)

In other words, my apple tree is cool.

No comments: