Monday, October 18, 2004

SB to LA and Rain

I am in Santa Barbara County approaching the Ventura County line when the pouring rain relents into a drizzle and then it stops all together. The ground is still wet, until I get to the county line. In Ventura County, it is entirely dry. I had no idea the weather patterns observed political boundaries.

The last time it rained in Southern California was April 17, for those of you who don’t understand why rain is a very foreign concept for Californians. This is the sort of fact Storm Watch 2004 covers when we get an eighth of an inch of rain.

I am absolutely ecstatic about not having to spend time watering the lawn and garden with water shipped in from Utah, because California is a desert and we buy our water from other states and ship it here and then we complain about the quality. Yet when we get it the natural way, through precipitation, we totally freak out.

Anyway, about my trip, when you are driving 20 mph or 0 mph on the 101 in LA, you get bored and read a lot of vanity plates and bumper stickers.

License Plate of this Trip: “BSKT CS”

My favorite bumper sticker is still, “Why am I in this hand basket and where are we going?”

Do any other women out there blast their car heater to use it as a hairdryer when running late in the morning? The guy in the other lane thought I was crazy. (This was a zero mph moment. A lot of hair dressing and makeup application happens at 0 mph on the freeway.)

Hopefully I will write again soon. You never know. The rain may continue; we could get a whole half-inch and I am a bit behind on building my arc.

No comments: