Saturday, October 16, 2004

What IS that?

(entry dedicated to Krista)

I heard a noise.

Like a tick tick tick noise.

So I go wandering around my house trying to find it.

It is loudest by my aluminum wall mount heater.

"What is that?" I think. I couldn't figure out what that noise was. I look around the room trying to see if I have been misdirected toward the heater. Looking around the room, I notice the window, and something happening outside. Then it all comes together. My investigation is over, with a smile and some regional stupidity.

I am such a Californian.

It was rain!

RAIN!

You have to understand, in case you are not from California, it has not rained here since March.

Rain! What a kick?! I don't have to water my plants. I hope the roof doesn't leak. I hope the sunroof on my car is closed. I don't have to wash my car. Driving is going to be scary.

Rain! Like water falling from the sky, where there is no chubby eight year old with a hose involved.

Oh... wait... it has stopped, kid you not! Well that's it folks. That was our three and a half minutes of rain in October. No more rain until November.

Good thing too. I am going out tonight and I can't get wet. I might melt or something. I had an ex-boyfriend who swore to me I wouldn't melt.

(His exact words were, "You are not going to melt. You don't melt in the shower, do you?" What he didn't understand was I am a Californian. My shower water is filtered, softened and heated. Shower water is not like rain water. I mean it is not even made by Dannon or Arrowhead or Perrier. Californians can eat tofu, where it might kill people from other regions. Rain doesn't bother people from other regions, but it kills Californians every year.)

Anyway, I am taking every precaution until experts release empirical evidence.

-----

PS1 My heater has an aluminum exhaust tube to the roof, that is why it is so noisy when it rains, if you care.

PS2 I continued to screw around with my working dual boot. Now I can't get into either drive. That is going to be an annoying few hours to fix.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

^_^

Rain is good stuff. I like it better than snow. Thank you for dedicating an entry to me, it makes me grin.