Sunday, January 09, 2005

Building an Arc

I am sorry I have not written lately. I have been busy building an arc.

In the last 24 hours, we received nearly one third of the average yearly rainfall, 3.34 inches of 11 inches. This is well in excess of all records.

An entire county has closed schools.

There are flood watches everywhere. (This is a stupid term, flood watch. It makes it sound like there are little observation decks set up to watch the flood.)

How long is the rain supposed to last? Forty days and forty nights, of course.

So, as I sit here floating in my inner tube, watching my two pumps desperately try and keep up with the pouring rain, I leave you with these two images: the forecast and what had been a beach, Goleta Beach.

The forecast for the next few days...


(I hope my pumps last; I am sure Home Depot has sold out.)

This was a level beach but now has a six-foot drop care of destructive storm surge.



You are welcome to write comments, especially on paper set adrift in corked bottles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a great writer! Very clever and quick. Good luck with the rain!