Monday, January 17, 2005

Going The Long Way

My sister was driving home to Santa Barbara from Cabo (see green route on map), a trip of something like 1000 miles. The direct way goes through Los Angeles.

When she gets to Los Angeles, all routes for last 100 miles (see red route) were closed due to mudslides and flooding.

So as my father tells it, in Los Angeles, my sister decided to make a right.

She is in Oklahoma now, some 1300 miles from LA (see blue route), bringing entirely new meaning to going around road closures.



If laughter is the best medicine, siblings are the prescription.

I think she is getting a GPS navigation system for her birthday.

(I have to reduce the charm of this story, or my sister will never forgive me for implying she lacks a sense of direction when, in fact, it is impeccable. Her boyfriend is posted in Oklahoma and the detour's destination, while ridiculously spontaneous, was entirely intentional. But the story is funnier when artistic liberty is taken, and that information omitted.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What really would have been funny is if she didn't have a boyfriend in OK. That would have made me chuckle... Well... that- or slap her up-side the head next time I saw her. Who goes to OK? From Mexico -- to OK... Who does that?! And if you answer "people from OK" I'll slap you up-side the head too. I am no mood for shannanigans. :)