Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Expensive Paperweights
Drug Sniffing Dogs
Vibrating Beds

Stupid: Not being able to print to any printer on the ship from any computer on the ship (some just inches apart) because…

Your satellite connection is down.

You are in the Baltic, and the computers contact LA to print.

And you thought you had printing problems!

(Those of you who are network savvy, the printers are mapped by name, and the DNS is in LA.)

So the Captain changed course so we could get a better angle on the satellite. Apparently this will be an ongoing problem in northern latitudes. (First I lose high speed access, then 28.8 access. What did I do before the internet!?)

Anyway, I forgot to mention the drug sniffing dogs on board in Amsterdam.

They put the drug sniffing dogs on the ship in Amsterdam.

Think about that.

Were they hoping the dogs would sober up?

Were they afraid we would import more drugs than we used while there?

I haven’t figured that one out. Maybe they were just cold. Fifty-three degrees AS THE HIGH in June.

I saw none of Amsterdam. I have been there before and worked instead. I did see the locks as we left. We were in this one little lock. The ship is about 90 feet wide. The lock was about 110 feet wide. I was very impressed by this.

One of the cool things about life at sea is, in certain seas, I have a vibrating bed. I also have a rocking bed sometimes. Please stay tuned for a full analysis of all possible bed motion classification, strictly due to oceanographic manifestations. (Get your heads out of the gutter.)

As a Californian, I occasionally wake with a start to a bed shaking, curtains swinging, various things clattering and think it is an earthquake. This always gives me a giggle. It is an amusing little manifestation of being California grown.

Alister had the opposite experience. He went home and was sleeping at his sister’s when an earthquake struck. She got all bent out of shape, and he, just shaken from sleep told her it was fine, just a little rough seas.

Tomorrow, Copenhagen.

No comments: