Saturday, June 04, 2005

Lisbon and Le Verdon

Thank you everyone for the comments on the red dot I call home.

Well, it is a good thing tomorrow is a sea day because I have so much to write!

(Sea day: a day spent entirely at sea with no ports of call.)

I went to Lisbon, June 1. Lisbon has Jacarandas! They are huge, old, and vibrantly violet (or violent, as my initial typo indicated). Santa Barbara has lovely jacarandas. They are comparably tiny to the old ones lining Lisbon’s streets.

Lisbon has an affair with tile work and mosaics. Building façades are covered with elaborate tile work, or washed in brilliant pastels. The sidewalks are mosaics.

This is a picture of just some random side walk. All the sidewalks were like this though.



I was not very impressed with Lisbon. It was dirty. There was graffiti everywhere. It seemed like there were lots of improvement projects forgotten half way through. (stupid)

Unless you are crazy into mosaic sidewalks, enormous jesus statues over bays, or majestic jacarandas, you can probably pass it.

I bought a plant for my cabin though, which made it worth the stop.

(I feel so guilty, like I am sentencing it to tourism death.)

Le Verdon, France: I did not have the opportunity to go into Le Verdon. I did however get off the ship for an hour and walk around the dock.

Why am I telling you this?

I walked to the end of the cargo lot and found, to my pleasure and delight the most secluded stretch of beach I had seen in a long time. My foot prints broke the smooth canvas of sand, millions of shells, rain pockets and crabs. I was the only set of foot prints.

It made me realize how vast my love is for a long walk on an empty beach. I collected shells; they are in the plant saucer, I got from the florist on board, around the base of my new plant.

I am most grateful for the solitary walk through a space so pure as a meadow to the right and the sea to the left. (cool)

Next…

BORDEAUX!

I LOVE BORDEAUX!!!!

Here is a picture… so you have something to return for….



I will write about Bordeaux tomorrow....

No comments: